Sunday, June 8, 2014

On bad luck and Coney Island.

We've decided I might have bad luck when it comes to planning. Examples:

April
In April I had a week off for Spring Break and planned to go to Kentucky for the last 5 days to attend my friend's bridal shower. We bought overnight bus tickets weeks in advance and were good to go. A few days before the trip, Braden got a call to do background on a show that would give him 2 vouchers (you need 3 vouchers to join the Screen Actors Guild). Great! The only problem was that it was happening during 2 out of the 5 days that we were going to be in Kentucky. Soooo I took a 12 hour bus ride to Kentucky by myself. 

May
My cousin was married in Arkansas the first weekend in May. Braden got an audition on the day we planned to fly there. I flew to Arkansas with Emily and Tyler Thursday night. Braden flew standby on Friday. He was in Arkansas for about 24 hours but at least he didn't miss the wedding. Could have been worse. 

June
I planned a weeklong extravaganza for our 1st wedding anniversary and my first week off from school. This included a road trip from NY to Kentucky with my sister and brother-in-law, being a bridesmaid in my hometown in Kentucky, taking a little camping trip for our 1-year-anniversary the day after the wedding, going to Missouri with my sister and parents to visit my grandmother, driving back to KY for the 4th of July, and finally road tripping back to NY. Braden is a part of a theatre company here in New York that puts on showcases every few months. There were 4 possible dates for him to perform in the upcoming showcase. 3 of those worked great with our vacation plans...1 did not. And you guessed it, he's performing on the 1 date that happens to be 2 days into this weeklong vacation. He now has to go back to New York on our anniversary. Fabulous. 

This weekend
I recently made an exciting discovery that I had 1 remaining personal day at work. I drilled Braden over his schedule because I could basically pick any day that I wanted- I just had to put in a request 10 days in advance. We carefully decided on a Monday and I set my heart on going to Coney Island for a beach day. Doesn't that sound like a fun way to spend a Monday?? The long weekend finally rolled around and the weather forecast announced it's supposed to storm on Monday and then Braden ended up being summoned to jury duty of all things! I just can't win. I decided to take fate into my own hands and moved Coney Island day to Saturday. It turned out to be a beautiful breezy day in the mid-80s and we had a blast exploring Luna Park and the boardwalk, laying on the beach, and eating hotdogs. Take that bad luck! 

Any suggestions for what I do by myself all day on Monday??

Coney Island is the birthplace of hotdogs! 
Last view of Coney Island as we pulled away in the train 

No comments:

Post a Comment